Memorial Day is a day celebrated in the United States on the last Monday of May each year to honor the people who died while serving the U.S. military. The day was originally named Decoration Day for the practice of decorating the graves of the soldiers with flowers on that day.
The Decoration Day was originated in the following years of the Civil War while it officially became a holiday in 1971. On Memorial Day people visits the cemeteries and go to family and friend’s gatherings. There are many interesting facts about this specific day relating to its tradition and activities. We have gathered this information about memorial day in this post so, learn more about the Memorial Day facts in these Memorial Day facts trivia.
Memorial Day Facts Trivia
1. When does the Memorial Day holiday occur in the United States?
2. What was the original name of Memorial Day?
3. Why Memorial Day is celebrated?
4. What date does Memorial Day occur in 2021?
5. When did the day originate?
6. How do Americans celebrate Memorial Day?
7. At what time the moment of remembrance takes place on the Memorial Day each year?
8. When did the day become an official federal holiday?
9. What was declared as the birthplace of Memorial Day in 1966 by the federal government?
10. When the last Monday of May was selected for Memorial Day?
11. Previously when was the day continued to observe?
12. Why the Memorial Day was selected on the last Monday of May?
Want to know about Disney princess?: 50+ Black History Trivia Questions and Answers
Memorial Day Fun Facts
13. Who started the tradition of wearing red poppies on Memorial Day?
14. Where the largest parades take place in the United State?
15. Why red poppies are worn on the day?
16. Which is the most popular activity takes place on the Memorial Day?
17. Where the first Memorial Day occurred?
18. Which flower is associated with the day?
19. The day is also treated as the beginning of a season. Which season is it?
20. Which southern state first celebrated the memorial holiday?
The first memorial day occurred in Charleston, South Carolina in 1865. While, President Lyndon Johnson officially declared Waterloo, New York as the birthplace of Memorial Day. On the first Decoration Day, General James Garfield made a historic speech at the Arlington Cemetery.
Memorial Day Traditions
21. Which northern state first celebrated the memorial holiday?
22. Who officially declared Waterloo New York the birthplace of the Memorial Day?
23. On the first Decoration Day, how many participants decorated the graves of soldiers?
24. Who made a historic speech on the first Decoration Day?
25. At which cemetery the first Decoration Day was held?
26. How many Union and Confederate soldiers are buried at the Arlington Cemetery?
27. When New York states officially recognized the holiday?
28. When all other northern states recognized it?
29. What was the poem inspired by which the idea of wearing the red poppies started?
30. Who first wore the red poppies on Memorial Day?
Memorial Day Facts for Students
31. Why Mona Michael sold poppies to her friends and co-workers?
32. Which is the first veteran’s organization to sell poppies nationally?
33. When the resolution of ‘National Moment of Remembrance’ was passed?
34. Who formerly declared to observe the Decoration Day on May 30?
35. Why the date was chosen?
36. Which is the deadliest war in the U.S. history?
37. How many deaths are estimated during the Civil War?
38. Who addresses on the Memorial Day 26 May 1983?
39. Which U.S senator introduced a bill to restore the date of Memorial Day to May 30?
40. Which sporting event has been held during the Memorial Day weekend?
On Memorial Day the American flag has to fly in the air at half-staff from sunrise to noon and at full-staff from noon until sunrise. People go to friends and family gatherings and arrange barbeque parties. Moreover, they visit the cemeteries and decorate the graves with flowers.
Memorial Day Bbq Trivia
41. Where the Arlington National Cemetery is located?
42. How the American flag should be displayed on memorial day according to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs?
43. After how many years of the Civil War the Decoration Day established?
44. In 2012, how many places claimed to have begun Memorial Day?
45. What was the name of the Act according to which the date of the Memorial Day revised?
46. Who passed this Act and when?
47. When the bill went into effect?
48. When the first race of Indianapolis 500 took place?
49. What traditionally used to decorate the graves?
50. What does GAR stands for?
Memorial Day Facts History
51. When GAR established the Decoration Day?
52. When the first Memorial Day Parade held?
53. Where the Parade took place?
54. What is usually played in the ceremonies of the Memorial Day?
55. What are the most popular things people use to remember the soldiers?
56. When the meaning of Memorial Day changed?
57. What was the former meaning of the day?
58. What is the current meaning of Memorial Day?
59. Which states refused to honor the dead until World War I?
60. Who first held the ceremony of the Decoration Day?
The red poppy flowers are recognized as the Memorial Day flower. Moina Michael started the trend of wearing red poppies on Memorial Day. Later on, it became a tradition in many other places all around the world.
Want to know about Disney princess?: 75+ Best Questions and Answers for Teens
Snapshot of Memorial Day
61. When the freed slaves held the ceremony?
62. How Memorial Day was celebrated in 1988?
63. How many riders participated by 2017?
64. Which states have their own Confederate Memorial Day?
65. What was the longest war in which the U.S military fought?
66. Which war ended when the name of the day was changed?
67. Which city hosts the oldest Memorial Day Parade?
68. Which war is named as the forgotten war?
69. What was the date of Memorial Day in 1984?
70. How many bikers rode by 2002 on Memorial Day?