At the beginning of each November and December, Jewish people around the world gather to celebrate Hanukkah with friends and family for eight nights and eight days. This joyous holiday is also known as the festival of lights. Hanukkah honors the rededication of the temple in Jerusalem in 165 B.C., where according to the fable Jews had nauseated against their Greek Syrian oppressors in the Maccabean Insurgency. The lighting of the menorah, traditional foods, games, and gifts are the major activities of the celebration.
The festival is meant to celebrate the miracles that occurred over 2,000 years ago. The survival of Jews, and the power of even a small light to overcome darkness. The best way to test your knowledge about Hanukkah is to have some Hanukkah trivia.
1. What does the word Hanukkah mean in Hebrew?
2. What is the second name of the Hanukkah festival?
3. How many years ago a miracle occurred and become a festival that people celebrate with the name of Hanukkah?
4. Which Hebrew letters stand for ‘A great miracle happened there’?
5. Children play games to win a pot of what?
6. Who celebrates the Hanukkah festival?
7. What is the first night of Hanukkah called?
8. What does the word Menorah mean in Hebrew?
9. Who created the Menorah?
10. What are the colors used in Hanukkah celebrations?
Fun Hanukkah trivia
11. Where has the Largest Menorah situated in the World?
12. Who was the first president to celebrate Hanukkah at the White House?
13. How many jelly donuts are consumed in Israel throughout Hanukkah?
14. The word “Hanukkah” comes from which Hebrew word?
15. How many nights does Hanukkah lasts, to commemorate how long the holy light burned?
16. A Menorah is a candelabra with how many candles?
17. What is the candle in the center of the menorah called which intended to light all the others and sits higher than the other candles?
18. The famous dreidel, or four-sided spinning top, was invented as what?
19. Which coins wrapped in gold foil, used in the traditional Jewish game of dreidel, and called gelt?
20. One of the most popular desserts are homemade doughnuts, what Jewish called it?
It is normal for women not to work for at least the first half-hour of the candles’ burning, and some have the tradition not to work for the entire time of burning. It is also prohibited to fast or glorify during Hanukkah.
Hanukkah family feud questions
21. Where the menorah prominently displays as a reminder to others of the miracle that inspired the holiday?
22. Hanukkah is observed for how many nights and days, starting on the 25th day of Kislev according to the Hebrew calendar?
23. What does the Hebrew word latke mean which is used in the festival?
24. In which books the story of Hanukkah is preserved?
25. Which prayer is recited on Hanukkah as an addition to the Amidah prayer, which was formalized in the late 1st century?
26. Among whom the tendency is for every male member of the household to light a full set of lights each night?
27. When should Hanukkah lights usually burn at least?
28. Typically, how many blessings are recited during this eight-day festival when lighting the candles?
29. In the Ashkenazi tradition, each night after the lighting of the candles, which hymn is sung?
30. What does the last day of Hanukkah known?
The biggest Hanukkiah in the world is usually thought to be in New York City near Central Park, which stands at 36 feet high, weighs two tons, and has been a New York fixture since 1977. Continue reading these 25 questions about Hanukkah Trivia.
25 questions about Hanukkah answered.
31. According to the Gregorian calendar on which date Hanukkah did start in 2018?
32. In the present time how many arms should a menorah have?
33. Which oil is considered the ideal fuel in place of candles as that is likely the oil used in the original miracle?
34. What is the reason for using blue and white colors in Hanukkah?
35. Why the Hanukkah festival have not any fixed date as it always changes?
36. For the festival of lights, must it be candles?
37. Why should there have fried food at the Hanukkah festival?
38. What should you have to do if you cross the international dateline?
39. In which biblical book the menorah is first mentioned?
40. How tall is the world’s largest menorah?
41. Who made the world’s largest menorah?
42. How long does Hanukkah last?
43. Chanukah is also commonly known as the festival of what?
44. How many sons of Matisyahu fought the Greeks?
45. Which Greek king, known for almost conquering Egypt, oppressed Jews, leading them to revolt and start the history of this holiday?
Hanukkah Trivia Questions
46. How many players are required to play a game of dreidel?
47. A common song about Hanukkah’s favorite toy, the dreidel, is: “I have a little dreidel, I made it out of ______” Which term ends the phrase?
48. Which president established the tradition of a White House Hanukkah party?
49. What is the good way to meet someone on Hanukkah?
50. The tradition of lighting a candle each night of Hanukkah is described in which Testament of the Bible?
51. In 1993, which astronaut once celebrated Hanukkah in space?
52. Where is the National Menorah lit every year?
53. How much weight does the world’s biggest menorah have?
54. When Hanukkah began and ended in the year 2020?
55. Fried potato pancakes are eaten in Hanukkah. What are these pancakes called in Hebrew?
For Jews all around the world fried foods are a very traditional part of the Hanukkah, and the reason for more fried foods is to recognize the miracle of the oil. “There are those who say that eating on Hanukkah cheese because of the miracle was made by milk Judith was feeding the enemy” written by the 16th-century Rabbi Moses Isserles. Now we will try some Hanukkah trivia true or false questions.
Hanukkah true or false
56. Hanukkah means “light” in English.
57. Hanukkah is not considered one of the major Jewish religious holidays.
58. Currently, menorahs have holders for nine candles, but in ancient times, they held seven candles.
59. The tradition of lighting a candle each night of Hanukkah is described in the New Testament of the Bible.
60. Hanukkah is sometimes referred to as the “festival of darkest winter.”
61. George W. Bush was the president who established the tradition of a White House Hanukkah party.
62. Gelt, or money, is a traditional Hanukkah gift.
63. Blue and white are the colors of the Hanukkah festival.
64. Hanukkah begins on a day in November or December at sunrise.
65. Menorahs are usually placed on shelves where they can be seen easily from inside or outside.
The African American culture’s annual celebration is known as Kwanzaa. This festival is held from December 26 to January 1, wrapping up in a communal feast called Karamu, commonly held on the 6th day. Maulana Karenga has created it, and it is based on African harvest festival traditions from various parts of Africa, West and Southeast Africa. In 1966 Kwanzaa was first celebrated. Let us see some more information about the Kwanzaa festival.
Kwanzaa trivia questions
66. American Maulana Karenga created Kwanzaa in 1966 during the aftermath of which event?
67. Kwanzaa is the word of which language?
68. The name Kwanzaa derives from the phrase matunda ya kwanza, what does it mean in English?
69. Kwanzaa celebrates the seven principles of Kwanzaa and each of the seven days of Kwanzaa is dedicated to one of the principles, in which year these principles formed?
70. Who has narrated a documentary film about Kwanzaa, The Black Candle?
71. Who designed the first Kwanzaa stamp, and was issued by the United States Post Office in 1997?
72. What do the Seven candles in a kinara symbolize?
73. What is the first principle of Kwanzaa?
74. What is the candle holder used in the Kwanzaa celebration in Swahili?
75. How many days is Kwanzaa celebrated?
76. Which Kwanzaa candle is lit first?
77. What are the three colors of Kwanzaa?
Hanukkah pop culture trivia
78. In 2012, which channel produced its first film mentioning Hanukkah?
79. Who wrote the song Hanukkah Oh Hanukkah?
80. The promotional artwork “A Rugrats Chanukah” was written by whom?
81. How many blessings are made before lighting candles?
82. During which of the “four exiles” did the miracle of Chanukah take place?
83. Is it permissible to do work on Chanukah?
84. The song “Puppy for Hanukkah is written by whom?
85. When did the Love, Lights, Hanukkah premiered?
Fun trivia facts about Hanukkah
86. Why do Jews eat greasy food on Hanukkah?
87. Which miracle do we celebrate with the lighting of candles?
88. How does the name Chanukah indicate the date when this holiday begins?
89. What damage did the Hellenite do to the Beit Hamikdash?
90. How did they know that the oil found was uncontaminated?
91. Who led the battle against the Hellenic?
92. What is the special reading of the Torah each day?
Read more here 60+ Catholic Trivia Questions and Answers
A Master in Economics having over 8 years of field experience. I am also a pro blogger loves to write articles for different blogs post related to kids, Christmas, harry potter, movies, and animals.